Mussouri Circus Theater – the building of the circus theater in Kharkov is located on the street. Blagoveshchensk, 28. Monument of local architecture in the Art Nouveau style . At the beginning of the XX century it was the largest circus theater in the world, seating 5750 spectators 1
Built in 1911 as a circus building. The author of the project is architect B.N. Korneenko . Art Nouveau building made of red brick. The auditorium did not have supports, the height of the dome was 70 meters. The seats for the audience were located in the amphitheater, and the arena itself was located below ground level. In 1912, the building was converted into an opera house , which began to be called “Mussuri” – after the theater entrepreneur Gerasim Mikhailovich Mussuri, who bought this house,. On the stage of this theater were: Fedor Chaliapin, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Tatyana Shmyga, Georg Ots, Andrei Mironov, Alla Pugacheva, Mikhail Vodyanoy , Maria Tiboldi, Valeria Radulesku, Vanda Polyanskaya , Nikolai Slichenko, Svetlana Varguzova, Yuri Vedeneev , Gerard Vasiliev, Vladimir Vysotsky , Mikhail Boyarsky , Lev Leshchenko .
From 1911 to 1989 – until the opening of the new building of the KhATOB on the street. Sumy – was the largest theater building in Kharkov.
In the period from 1919 to 1923 the building was used for public events. Here were N. Krupskaya, F. Dzerzhinsky. March 10, 1919 at the 3rd All-Ukrainian Congress of Soviets in the theater, the Ukrainian Socialist Soviet Republic was proclaimed an independent independent state; Then the first constitution of the Ukrainian SSR was adopted.
About 60 years under the USSR, the Kharkov Musical Comedy Theater was located in the building, now located on the same side of the same street through one building (DK Pishevik, 32 K. Marx St.).
Due to poor acoustics and inability to conduct performances, the theater was rebuilt several times, gradually losing its original appearance: the facade was changing, details were lost, the building was lined with yellow tiles. There are no photographs of the building in any album about Kharkov, and its initial appearance can be judged by pre-revolutionary postcards.
In 1987, the building was declared damaged. It burned repeatedly, because some of the structures are wooden, and the ceilings between the roof and the auditorium are from pressed reeds. In 2005, the theater building was removed from the list of architectural monuments.
1: A. Paramonov, V. Titar. Materials for the history of the Kharkov theater. – Publishing house “Ryder”, 2007. – 288 p. – (Library of historical thought).
Dmytrivs’ka Street 28
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.