Established as a gastronomy and entertainment hall of Jerzy Müller’s design in 1929 for the General National Exhibition. It stood in the Kasprowicz Park, near the place where the Arena was later built. It was part of the exhibition entertainment complex, along with the amusement park and other recreational and entertainment facilities. It offered gastronomy and dance parties. The wooden, domed supporting structure was designed by L. Paradistal. It consisted of 26 delicate wooden ribs with the beam structure exposed on the inside. During PeWuKi it was covered from the outside with a few glazed cylinders forming a stepped block. The ribs were connected with lattice stiffeners and painted in bright colors.
After the end of the national exhibition, thanks to the efforts of the Jeżyce horse dealer – Roman Andrzejewski (he had a plant at ul. Zwierzyniecka ), the object was moved near the intersection of ul. Poznańska and Mickiewicza ( Jeżyce ). In 1931, the assembled parts were used to erect a permanent circus building called “Olimpia”. Andrzejewski was an avid lover of circus art. In addition to circus performances, other entertainment events, folk games, art and trade exhibitions, as well as sports competitions, in particular boxing and wrestling, took place there. An amusement park operated next to the circus.
After the relocation, the facility’s volume was 20,000 m³, and the usable area – 1,500 m². The structure was completely wooden, not including re-added outbuildings, including three-axis entrance with arcades and hall. The wooden floor was only in the entrance and hall – the rest of the circus had a dried clay floor, also known as a concave floor.
After 1945 the building which was private property gradually begin to fall into ruin. The roof began to leak, fragments of walls and windows were missing. Many times the building was broken into. In 1986, the building was bought by the city and handed over to the Opera. They used it as a stage decoration storage. However they did not stop the degradation process, water dripped all over the decorations stored there and burglars stole equipment on several occasions. In 1987, the building was registered as a monument.
On December 31, 1994, fireworks landed on the dome (or where thrown onto the down) and the former circus burned to the ground. The fire consumed the building in two hours (18-20), whilst threatening the surrounding blocks and houses as the flames rose tens of meters into the sky.
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.